Sunday, March 8, 2009

This is why we don't do parks

Okay, maybe that's a tad melodramatic!  Maybe I should rewind...just a tad...

The weather this weekend's been great.  (I was even able to run outside both days.)  So today (3/8/09), after the babies naptime, Shane suggested a trip to the park.  Keep in mind, the triplets have never been.  But with two adults, I figured now was as good a time as any, to attempt it.  So off we went to our local park.  Shane invited his parents to meet us there.  They were excited for a kid fix and the additional adults helped our baby-to-adult ratio!

Once we got there, it was crowded...but that's to be expected...and we weren't phased by it.  We made our way to the "small playset" and put the babies down.  No one moved for at least 5 minutes (not the reaction I was expecting).


Cole and Ava warmed up with some time on the swings while Shane walked Eli around the playset (a ship).


After a few minutes with the wind in his hair, Cole was ready to roll and Eli took over his swing.


Before long, all three were rumbling around the ship and flying down the slides.


Everyone was having a great time.  And that's when it happened!  I was at one end of the ship with Ava on a slide and I looked up to see Eli walking toward a ladder opening on the other end.  I yelled for an adult to back him up, but before I could finish his name, Eli had tripped on the toe of his sneaker and took a head-first dive right through the opening.  There was a random Dad there, who sort of broke Eli's fall, but not before he smacked his face on the metal ladder.  Thankfully, Eli flipped enough to not land directly on his head...it was more like his shoulder and upper arm that took the brunt of the hit.  I was already four strides into my sprint by the time Eli hit the "soft" woodchips.  His cry was more of a "scared cry" than a "hurt cry" and it didn't last more than a few seconds.  Within minutes, Eli's eye was swollen.  I'm pretty sure it's going to be a lovely shade of purple in the morning.


During the one-mile ride home, Shane encouraged me to not beat myself up over Eli's fall.  Surprisingly, I wasn't feeling over-the-top guilty.  I mean, yeah, I felt like a Horrible Mom on display for a little while at the park, but by the time we were home, the only thing I felt was pure pity for Eli.  The kid takes a licking but keeps on ticking!  He was all smiles at home.  Playing peek-a-boo, laughing, running around, etc.  He just LOOKS like a prize fighter.  Two firsts in one day: the park & a shiner!

7 comments:

Nicole O'Dell said...

WOW, from that all I get is, WOW he has aMAZing eyes! lol ;)

Seriously though, kids fall...you didn't do anything wrong! It won't be his last shiner and there may even be a stitch or two in your future. (I don't say that from experience or anything. lol)

Sounds like a wonderful day (except for the fall, of course).

Elyse said...

Poor kid...hope the eye gets better and the park can maybe be visited again!
~Elyse~

Amy said...

You're a brave soul to take that many kiddies to the park ~ I hestitate to take 3! LOL! I HATE those openings on the equipment ~ we have that same ship on our local playground....

Helen said...

Aww! Poor kiddo. At least his first shiner came from something "fun" instead of falling off a changing table. Not that I know anyone who's allowed one of her small kids to roll off a changing table... *looking around nervously*

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

it sounds like you all had a fun time at the park, despite the fall. but, aww, poor little guy. don't beat yourself up though, kids fall down all the time, it's what they do.

Anonymous said...

Awww. Poor Eli. It certainly wasn't for lack of adult supervision...you had plenty of adults to go around! Glad that his fall was a little broken and he's acting like his normal self.

Superhero Mom said...

That is what my boys call "badge of manhood" every bruise and bust just keeps reminding them that they are MEN! You know...war wounds....Brendan still has a scar that my engagement ring left on his leg 3 years ago when he was falling out of the bunk bed...he still reminds me...(Mom remember this mark when you cut me with your ring.) Lovely!