Sunday, June 1, 2008

Head Ultrasound Results

As promised...a new picture...


It occurred to me that I never gave the results of the head ultrasounds. Before I get into that, let me just say: THEY WERE WONDERFUL getting their tests done. The tech let them stay in their car seats and I just held their heads still. They were definitely curious as to what that cold gel was on their head, but for the most part, sat pretty still on their own.

At one point, Cole grabbed the tech's wrist and tried to pull it down so he could eat what was in her hand. I guess the probe looked like an ice cream cone to him!

Part of the reason for my delay is because the diagnosis sounds scary - but it's not! Ava & Cole were both diagnosed with "External Hydrocephalus". Sounds bad, right? But it isn't. I can't find a link that describes it completely, so I'll just tell you what I remember the doctor saying. Keep in mind, there were 1000 things going through my head after those 2 words came through the phone. The doctor sort of sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher until she said, "I'm not worried at all and we won't even be checking them again. This will go away on it's on by the time they're two." Other words & phrases that I heard, "Just explains why they have larger heads...not interfering with brain growth or activity...they're fine...you probably had it too..."

So, in a nutshell, we've got big heads! Not exactly "Breaking News". I mean, have you seen the size of MY melon?

As you can tell from the picture, we are all pulling ourselves up to the standing position. It makes for A LOT of fun at bed & nap times. Eli & Cole tend to stand in their cribs and "talk". A few times, I have had to separate them by putting one (usually Cole) in the pack & play in my closet. It's a whole new ballgame now, baby! Craziness has definitely settled in at the Higby Household.

6 comments:

Superhero Mom said...

OH my goodness! The are.....so cute!!! I love their big heads! HA! they don't look big at all! But as my Brendan says "Big head, Big brain!" Have you seen Jimmy Neutron? Love you Amy! Oh can you mention to Momma Higby that I'm desperate for an update on her blog too! Thanks for sharing the updated picture!

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

although you got some news that seemed scary, i am glad to hear the results were positive overall. that is wonderful news!

Dorinda said...

Such a cute picture - thanks for sharing. And I'm glad all their check-ups went well and nothing is seriously wrong!!

As for naps, we already seperate all three for every one. They sleep better and talk less! In Florida, we can't do it as much but I do move Rachel out on her own just so she'll actually get some sleep and not be wakened up by Alyssa. Seems to work or at least it does in my mind :)

Anonymous said...

That was a pretty scary sounding word but I'm glad it just translates into having big heads. I think they'll just all end up being very, very smart. Just have Ty start teaching them to spell. :-)

Amy Sullins said...

They are so cute! Precious!

Glad to hear the test came back ok!

Elyse said...

Just wanted to let you know that I LOVE the new header for the blog! It is so cute;)
Glad the test results came back good!
~Elyse~